Dormitory Complete: April 2nd, 2008

Dormitory Complete: April 2nd, 2008
The happy and grateful girls of NABSS!

The new dormitory, inside view - the new bunkbeds (mosquito nets not yet set up), cutting the ribbon on April 2nd, 2008

Students, teachers and others at the dedication ceremony, me addressing the audience (Peace Corps Country Director Bob Golledge in the background), photo-ops with students at the new dorm

Me posing with a new dorm resident, another view of the front of the dorm, me dancing with NABSS staff and students at the dedication

The NABSS student cultural dance troupe performing traditional Bimoba drumming and dancing at the dedication with the District Cultural Coordinator in the foreground

Thursday, March 6, 2008

One month to go...

We're a little bit behind schedule all of a sudden, but after my last visit, I'm 100% confident we'll be done by the end of March. Why am I so sure? The headmaster told me that one reason the roofing was delayed was that the workers were engaged in other projects in town and he had a hard time sometimes getting them to focus on our project. My solution: the same thing that generally works on me - food. I gave the headmaster enough money to feed all the workers extra well everyday from now until the end of the month and threw in a decent monetary bonus if we can make the deadline(up until now the unskilled labor has been either totally voluntary - school staff members - or the very low paid help of the skilled mason and carpenter. I was able to do this because we're anticipating coming out a little bit UNDER budget - even after adding the electrical work on the dorm!) The mason and carpenter assured me that they would stay with the dormitory project until it's totally finished. I also scheduled another quick trip in two weeks. I've asked them to have everything done at that point besides the painting. This thing's gonna get done - and I'll have the pictures to prove it!!!

Carl

PS - Check out that ginormous cell phone tower with the mud hut in the foreground!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOOKING GOOD! Great to see the progress--I agree work is easier with food. Good plan Carl! Love you! MOM